Over the Ocean

8.05.2006

Mountain Trip



Rarely in my life have I seen something so beautiful. Maybe pictures might compare, but I doubt it. Recently I took a trip with a few friends to the highest point in North Africa. The trip itself was fairly uneventful, but the view was spectacular. The idea was to get out of the city and relax for five days, and relax we did. The first three days, we stayed at a small "hotel" at the base of the mountains. The view from my window was a small mountain stream and some hills through the fog in the distance. Of course after waking up with altitude sickness the first day, I wasn't looking out the window much (mainly because I kept falling over). After some medicine and about 8 more hours of sleep, I was walking upright again and enjoying the scenery. The rest of our group met up with us at the end of day three and we drove straight up to where the path basically stopped and stayed at a small hostel for the next two days. We wondered what we'd gotten ourselves into as we stepped inside, but at $1.50 per night, we couldn't complain. A small group of us hiked around and took a few pictures the next day. We got a bit lost in a couple villages coming back, but made it just as a big rain was coming in from the other side of the mountains. All in all, it was just the trip out of the city I needed to make me remember why I love the countryside. A small village, winding paths that lead to another, mules and donkeys carrying supplies further up the mountain, villagers eager to say good morning in their best English or French, and their surprise when we try the familiar "sba l'khir" back in Arabic. I love this place and the reminder I got about the mountains and God's love from Isaiah:
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing
love for you will not be shaken..." -- Isaiah 54:10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home