Over the Ocean

8.31.2006

It's almost time...

The past two days have been our annual registration days for the middle and high school students. They come to get their classes scheduled, a locker, their books, and to reconnect with one another after a summer away in Europe or other areas of the country. My job was helping with the locker assignments both days. As I was handing out locks, checking combinations, and teaching kids how to use them I got the chance to get to know one of our new French teachers (who was helping also), to meet some new students, and to reconnect with my old students. I've been advising the same group of students since they were Freshmen and now they are Seniors. I can't believe it flew by so fast. Some of them came in ready to "get this over with for the last time." and others lingered longer and "really aren't ready for this to end." I realized how much I am in the second category. Realizing that this is my last year here, with this group that has affectionately been called my kids, hit me today. I've seen them grow from about my shoulder as Freshmen to towering over me now (which is good for the basketball coach, but hard for me), I've seen many tears when friends abandoned them or grandparents passed on, and joy when new members of the family were born or a relationship was restored. I've learned to love each of them and seeing them smile and laugh brightens my day. There, of course, have been those days where I just wanted to get them out of class, but I don't think I'll have those anymore. We have just about ten more months together until we all scatter the globe. I wonder if they are ready for what they will encounter, if they will succeed, if they will be good parents and spouses, and if I will see them after this year is done.
I pray that:
1) they are ready to work hard because, "All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty." -Proverbs 14:23
2) that they will succeed in finding the truth in life through the word of God, "Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him." -Proverbs 30:5
3) that they will be excellent parents raising up truth seeking children that they will, "not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord." --Philippians 6:4
4) and that I will see them in eternity, "I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me; I was found by those who did not seek me. To a nation that did not call on my name, I said, 'Here I am, here I am."
It is with great expectations that we begin another year of school tomorrow. I'm sure, as with the start of anything new, tomorrow will be chaotic, but I'm filled with a sense of peace and joy in knowing that I have another ten months to be a positive influence on my kids, to see where God moves, and to see Him glorified here.

1 Comments:

  • good call with proverbs... we'll all need some wisdom to impart this year

    By Blogger Adam, at 10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home