Bits and Pieces...
Ending well is something that people talk a lot about around here. That's probably because so many people come and go in an international setting. This time it's different though. This time it's me who has to end well. Me who has to say goodbyes that I'd rather not say, me who has to pack everything, again. A huge surprise is the fact that I'm really enjoying finding out what my life has been made up of here. As I've been reflecting on my time here, I've realized more and more that while I've been trying to figure out what the "big picture" is, I've overlooked it. It isn't that the school will run perfectly, it isn't that communication between people will go smoothly, or any of the other things I've felt were vital to my "success" here. The big picture has been made up of very small pieces. This isn't some revolutionary new thought. It's something that I think we all realize, but forget in the day to day. As I've been striving to "finish well" I've been discovering more and more of the bits and pieces that have made my time here unforgettable.
The Youth Group. Tonight was our last regular meeting time together. Every Thursday night for the past five years I've met with this group. I've seen many students come and go in my time here and it's always been bitter sweet. I know that God has equipped them to go out into the world and glorify Him, but letting them go is tough. They are absolutely amazing. I wish I had been (spiritually) where they are now when I was in high school. They are tuned in to the spirit, seeking growth, enjoying God, and striving to shine brightly for Him. What a joy they are to be around, and I will miss our Thursday nights, smoovies, beach days, and worship times. Jeremiah, Christy, Luke, Julia, Vanessa, Jared, Nathan, Laura, Gabe, Katelyn, Daniel, Hamza, James, Bobby, Michelle, Rachel, Kayla, Rebekah, Taylor, Romain, and Andrew thank you so much.
Culture has been another piece of my time here. Coming from rural Michigan, I wasn't very cultured. I was used to my life and yet I wanted more. Being here has opened me up to a new culture. One of henna, Friday couscous, French and Arabic, kissing on cheeks, djellabas, bargaining, crazy driving, overwhelming devotion to family, and so much more. I will miss the richness I've come to think of as "normal."
True community. In the book of Acts (2:42-47), there is a description of what a community of believers should look like. They devoted themselves to prayer and fellowship, they ate together, they had everything in common, they provided for eachother's needs, and they praised God together. I used to read this and think that it was impossible in today's busy independent world to have such a community. We just don't take time to be together nearly enough to develop the type of relationships talked about in Acts, and besides that was a long time ago. However, the community that has developed in our home group has mirrored the one talked about in Acts. It has been a blessing to be cared for and to care genuinely for others, to be challenged in my faith and life, and to be part of a large extended family as Christ intended. Above is a picture of Bob, Sue, Adam, and I. We (Adam and I) had the honor of having dinner with them just before they got on the plane back to the US last week. Our group will miss their leadership, but we will all be together again soon.
As I was packing up my room last weekend in an effort to organize, I found myself not really caring about too much stuff. I sat for a long time with a stack of cards I've received from friends, family, and students enjoying the encouragement within. After that, I moved on to a stack of pictures from my time here. Those are the bits and pieces that matter. I'm sure there will be more in the next couple of weeks as I continue the goodbyes. For now though, I've loved the lessons in all of this. God is so good and so faithful to show himself to us in every situation. I have no doubt of his goodness, his plan, his mercy, and his love. As difficult as this time is, I look forward to where He is taking me and the bits and pieces that will make up my time there too.


1 Comments:
Kattie,
Its been fun to see your love for these kids shine through your entries... thank you for sharing.
By
Shan, at 11:46 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home